Monday, January 18, 2010

20/21 Week Checkup.

The checkup was short, as usual. I did weigh in at 204 today. Last time was 200. But I was also wearing heavy snow boots today. I will lay it at that.

She measured my belly for the first time today and listened with doppler to the heartbeat, said that sounded healthy. I didn't hear her say the measurement and if I'm on track or not. We did discuss a few extra things besides symptoms. She asked if I was very lightheaded from blood loss after Gavin and I said no I really don't think I was but I did have an epidural headache, which could have masked it. That led into asking me if I would accept a blood patch if that happened again (I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses). I said that no my conscience would not allow it but at least this time I would know that it DOES end eventually. I would like to pursue some other pain management methods before an epidural if possible but we would think about that when it comes time.

The doctor also asked if I breastfed Gavin or bottle fed and what my thoughts were on it this time so I told her that I definitely want the best shot I can get at breastfeeding succeeding this time. I asked if the hospital here will give me the baby right away or if they have to take her for their testing and stuff. She said that if there are no breathing problems or issues with meconium having been swallowed, she puts the baby on my chest or belly. She said if anything it is the nurses that I need to speak to before the baby comes so they know I want to have the baby as soon as possible and not have them whisk her away. I said my main concern is just that I want to try nursing as soon as possible, within the first hour if possible. She agreed that would be a good idea, that she and their healthcare team there would all want me to succeed at breastfeeding. I just have to make sure my wishes are known when the time comes.

I also brought up how I felt last time I lapsed on taking my Zoloft for a few days and she said it was kind of a good test to see if I still needed it, so for now we know at least that it IS helping me. I told her how for a while after that break it didn't seem like it was working as well, but now things seem to have caught back up and I am feeling pretty good. I know there was something else I thought of throughout this last month that I forgot to bring up. I really need to make a list throughout this next month so I don't do that next time.

My next appointment is in February, 4 weeks from this one. After that appointment I will start seeing the doctor every 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment